The medical system has undergone some significant changes during the past few years, with one of the biggest changes being the rise of telehealth. Now, it’s possible for patients to see doctors remotely, and this is leading to some natural extensions.
For example, many medical systems are realizing the significant benefits of remote patient monitoring with wearable devices. If doctors have access to real-time information about their patients, they can make faster, more accurate decisions that lead to improved patient outcomes. Furthermore, a remote patient monitoring system can save time and money, freeing up valuable resources that can be used to maximize patient care.
What types of benefits can a remote patient monitoring system have on your medical practice?
A Remote Monitoring System Can Reduce the Cost of Care
One of the biggest benefits of a remote monitoring system is that it can reduce the cost of care for providers and payers. Some of the ways that remote patient monitoring can save money include:
- Remote patient monitoring can reduce avoidable emergency department visits, saving patients, hospitals, and insurance providers money.
- Remote patient monitoring can also avoid unnecessary hospital visits by allowing doctors to potentially address problems before they get worse.
- Remote patient monitoring allows providers to administer acute and chronic care monitoring while the patient is at home, reducing the burden on long-term care facilities.
By using remote patient monitoring to keep patients out of inpatient facilities while reducing medical complications, these wearable devices can dramatically reduce the cost of care.
Remote Patient Monitoring Can Save Time
Remote patient monitoring systems also save a significant amount of time. This includes provider time as well as patient time. Some of the ways this system can save time include:
- Patients will not have to take as much time off of work or school to travel to the doctor’s office because many issues can be handled from home.
- Providers will not have to spend as much time waiting for results because they will already have access to real-time information.
- Doctors will not have to do as much clerical work because RPM tools can integrate with EMR systems, reducing repetitive documentation.
Doctors can use their valuable time to focus on taking care of acute concerns instead of getting buried by administrative paperwork. An RPM system takes full advantage of the flexibility of a team-based care model.
Remote Patient Monitoring Leads To Improved Patient Outcomes
One of the top benefits of remote patient monitoring is that it leads to improved patient outcomes. Some of the ways that these wearable devices can improve patient outcomes include:
- Doctors can monitor body temperature remotely, looking for signs of infection that can be addressed more quickly.
- Physicians can monitor blood glucose levels in real-time, helping patients with type 1 and Type 2 diabetes better monitor their insulin and glucose levels.
- Doctors can track blood pressure and heart rate in patients with cardiovascular concerns, addressing problems before they lead to major complications.
- Physicians will not have to worry about patient compliance as much, as medical providers will already have access to the information they need to make decisions.
These are just a few of the many ways that a remote patient monitoring system can improve patient outcomes and save lives.
Remote Patient Monitoring Leads To More Engaged Patients
A comprehensive remote patient monitoring system can also lead to a better patient experience by improving engagement. Patients are more likely to follow the instructions of healthcare professionals if they feel like they are a part of the process. Wearable devices provide patients with the tools they need to better understand their health.
When patients understand how a remote monitoring system will track acute and chronic medical conditions, they better understand the responsibility they have in taking care of their health.
As a result, they will have a better experience, be more engaged in the healthcare plan, and enjoy better health outcomes. With convenient access to health education materials, patients will become even more engaged and be active participants in their medical care.
Joerns & BioIntelliSense™ Wearable Devices Can Help You Develop a Remote Patient Monitoring System
If you would like to leverage all of these benefits, you need to work with a team that has experience in this area. Recently, Joerns partnered with BioIntelliSense™ to develop the BioSuite of Physiologic Monitoring. This is a system of wearable devices that can track information in real-time, giving your medical professionals the information they need to make quick decisions regarding the care of their patients.
Our medical-grade wearable devices can track body temperature, heart rate, respiratory rate, activity level, and more. Therefore, you can reduce unnecessary hospital visits and make interventions that can dramatically improve the outcomes of your patients.
Contact us today for more information on these devices.